About the role
The Android Framework Engineer will be a member of the System and Software team. You will be responsible for developing and building our embedded software ecosystem on Android around ARM's current and next generation products; especially secure products such as DRM and secure architecture.
- Development of reference software and demonstrations for ARM Partners' to use and replicate in their own products.
- Requirements analysis and task breakdown
- Working with ARM’s OS, OEM and Silicon Partners to drive standards that enable the optimisation, differentiation and fast evolution benefits of ARM’s Partner model
- Providing technical advice and direction to both ARM’s, and ARM Partners', platform implementation projects
- Optimising performance
- Upstreaming and maintenance
ARM is a leader in low power embedded solutions and you can expect to be developing embedded software which will maintain this leadership.
As an active member of an extended Software Development group you can expect to be working face to face with some of the greatest household names in our industry to help develop, optimize and deliver the software needed to support ARM's cutting edge IP, as well as helping ARM grow its role in new market segments.
What skills, experience and qualifications do I need?
A successful candidate will be flexible, with a variety of software development skills and a commitment to extend the breadth and depth of their knowledge.
Education & Qualifications
Good university degree (or equivalent), ideally in a numerate subject, although other graduates would be considered if they have relevant experience.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Expert knowledge of C/C++ development
- Familiar with Java and Android Framework
- Knowledge of RISC architecture (ARM, etc)
- Excellent written English; fluent oral English
- Ability to work independently and in a distributed team
- Professional and enthusiastic approach to work
- Flair for lateral thinking and problem solving
- Pro-active and self-motivating
Desirable Skills & Experience:
- Experience with Android framework; graphics or multi-media framework is BIG advantage
- Experience with Linux driver development; graphics or multi-media driver is an advantage
- Experience with trusted execution environments and trusted applications is an advantage
- Experience with Security Features is an advantage (Cryptocell, TLS, SSL and PGP, etc)
- Experience with DRM solutions is BIG advantage (Widevine, HDCP, MediaDrm and DRM framework, etc)
- Familiarity with System-on-a-Chip architectures
- Familiarity with open-source project development cycles and contribution processes is an advantage
What are the desired behaviours for this role?
At ARM, we are proud to have a set of behaviours that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary. These behaviours are assessed as part of the recruitment process:
- Partner and customer focus – Your tendency to put your partners and customers first in all that you do by understanding their needs and striving to achieve win-win solutions.
- Collaboration and communication – Your ability to forge lasting relationships which are built upon mutual trust, open communication and sharing of information and success.
- Creativity and innovation – Possessing a passion for driving continuous improvement through spotting opportunities and seeking the views of others.
- Team and personal development – You take time to drive your own development, whilst also encouraging team members and partners to do the same.
- Impact and influence – You listen to different perspectives, evaluate, persuade and carefully shape your work to deliver truly impactful results.
- Deliver on your promises – You demonstrate a can-do attitude and you drive to overcome obstacles, acting with a sense of urgency because you’re passionate about what you do.