Software Principal Engineer (C++, Unix, TCP/IP)
DELL - full time
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
05 Jul 2017
Dell is a collective of customer-obsessed, industry-leading visionaries. At our core is a commitment to diversity, sustainability and our communities. We offer unparalleled growth and development opportunities for our team members. We believe that technology is essential for driving human progress, and we’re committed to providing that technology to people and organizations everywhere, so they can transform the way they work and live.
The Data Management (DM) organization within the Data Protection Division (DPD) of Dell EMC offers first-class products, protecting customers’ mission-critical enterprise applications. The products’ intuitive user interface and policy-based backup engine help automate and simplify the entire backup and recovery process. Powerful snapshot management provides instant data protection and rapid recovery. Deduplication offers breakthrough space and time savings
If you thrive in a challenging, results-oriented, and rewarding environment take a closer look at Dell EMC. We want to talk to candidates interested in the position of Software Developer – Applications protection, with the DM organization of EMC, located in our Burlington, Ontario, Canada facility.
Key activities may include:
- Architect, design, implement and integrate complex software components
- Unit test, debug and correct defects in new and existing products
- Successfully and repeatedly own and resolve the toughest customer problems in a sustainable manner
- Provide support to team and deliver projects as a team
- Frequently contribute to the development of new methods/techniques/ideas – from conception and buy-in, to implementation and roll-out
The ideal person will:
- Take ownership of tasks and persevere to get things done
- Have growth mindset, and be flexible to adapt to changes quickly and positively
- Adhere to time commitments and with no quality compromises
- Be able to work effectively in a team oriented environment and also be able to deliver results independently under minimal supervision
- Have strong interpersonal skills and ability to convey new technical ideas to management and peers
- Have a CAN DO attitude – ability to think outside the box to deliver quality results
- Enjoy working closely with supportive team members in an Agile development environment
- Enjoy the unique challenges of modifying and improving existing code as well as "clean slate" implementation, and must be able to incorporate new ideas and solutions to achieve better performance while extending the feature set
- Have a demonstrated understanding of distributed applications
- Degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering is a must
- Deep knowledge on all of the following is a must: C/C++ on both UNIX and Windows, TCP/IP threads, client-server and inter-process communication
- Experience implementing large scale Enterprise wide distributed systems
- Solid knowledge on at least two of the following is a must: Data Protection, General Distributed systems, SysAdmin skills, Storage Management, and SAN/NAS/Snapshots.
- Demonstrable possession of all of the following assets is a must: excellent written and verbal communication skills; motivated, effective and responsible team player; critical thinking, creativity; follow through; use of good judgment and cutting-edge tools and technologies; understanding of business environment; successful interaction with upper management, impactful contributions to the achievement of organizational goals
Education & Experience:
Typically requires 8+ years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 6+ years with a Master’s degree; or 3+ years with a PhD; or equivalent experience
With more than 100,000 team members globally, we promote an environment that is rooted in the entrepreneurial spirit in which the company was founded. Dell’s team members are committed to serving our communities, regularly volunteering for over 1,500 non-profit organizations. The company has also received many accolades from employer of choice to energy conservation. Our team members follow an open approach to technology innovation and believe that technology is essential for human success.
Why work with us?
Life at Dell means collaborating with dedicated professionals with a passion for technology.
When we see something that could be improved, we get to work inventing the solution.
Our people demonstrate our winning culture through positive and meaningful relationships.
We invest in our people and offer a series of programs that enables them to pursue a career that fulfills their potential.
Our team members’ health and wellness is our priority as well as rewarding them for their hard work.
Dell is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Dell encourages applicants of all ages.
When you choose our company, you join a diverse world of innovative thought leaders. At our core is a commitment to workplace diversity, the sustainability of our planet, and community corporate involvement. We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities-all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.