Senior Advanced Software Engineer, Graphics
Warner Bros. Entertainment Group
Chicago, Illinois, USA
14 Aug 2020
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
Business Unit Overview
NetherRealm: The creative team that brought Mortal Kombat and Injustice to life is now NetherRealm Studios, part of the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment family. With over 20 years of creation under our belts, NetherRealm’s mission remains the same; to create cutting edge entertainment and deliver industry leading tech, game art and overall gaming experiences. NetherRealm Studios is a collaborative and creative environment, constantly striving to up the ante on what is possible in interactive entertainment. We encompass the best of both worlds – a team of dedicated professionals with years of experience, who are also at the forefront of an industry taking over the entertainment landscape. The passion and energy that made Mortal Kombat a reality is still on display every day in our offices, our hallways and most definitely the studio’s arcade room! Monolith: For the past 20 years Monolith has been obsessed with delivering a unique gaming experience for our fans. Starting with Blood, our very first title – all the way to our most recent offering, Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, we are constantly pushing the envelope to combine innovative gameplay, inventive narratives, cutting edge tech & AI, and stunning visuals. We are challenging ourselves even further to ensure that our next game is going to be our best yet. That’s where you come in – for us to achieve that we need the best and brightest talent the industry has to offer. Come join us and help create our next AAA title! Turbine: Founded in 1994, Turbine, Inc., a Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment development studio, is focused on creating free-to-play games for mobile platforms. The studio is utilizing its extensive expertise in creating persistent online worlds that foster powerful social gaming communities to develop its mobile titles, which include Batman™: Arkham Underworld and the upcoming Game of Thrones® mobile game. Avalanche: Avalanche Software was acquired by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment from Disney in 2016. The studio's first title under WBIE is a companion video game to the upcoming Cars 3, in partnership with Warner Bros., Disney, and Pixar. WB Games SF: Warner Bros. is a top video games publisher across multiple platforms. In mobile games, we have a growing portfolio of hits that includes DC Legends, Mortal Kombat X, and LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga, and we continue to expand by adding great people and leveraging the best portfolio of brands and intellectual property in the industry, such as DC Comics, Harry Potter, and LEGO. We are looking to add enthusiastic, talented and experienced professionals to our Mobile Publishing team. WB Games New York: WB Games New York works with some of the top talent in the game industry to build online competitive and social features for video games. Our highly experienced team of engineers utilize cutting-edge technology to build game services that are robust and scalable enough to support world-class developers such as NetherRealm Studios, Rocksteady, Monolith Productions, WB Montréal, and more!
NetherRealm, a division of WB Games Inc., seeks a Senior Advanced Software Engineer – Graphics to work closely with the KoreTech rendering team on the next generation console graphics vision for the Mortal Kombat™ and Injustice™ franchises
As a Senior Advanced Graphics Engineer you will work closely with the Lead Engineer and the rest of your peers to develop state-of-the-art graphics technology for PS5, and XBOX Series X. Your domain will span the entire rendering pipeline and your responsibilities will include optimization, design, and implementation of pivotal new graphics technology.
In addition, as part of our highly collaborative engineering group, you will have ample opportunity to share your experience and expertise on the development of engineering systems across the entire codebase. Opportunities for involvement in the creative process will also present themselves regularly throughout the course of each project. This job will require close collaboration with the Lead Engineer on issues of technical design and the Senior Tech Artists as appropriate during implementation and roll-out of new features.
- Design, author, maintain and document robust and highly optimized systems that meet all design, technical and schedule requirements
- Work closely with QA and your technical leadership to ensure the stability and accuracy of your systems by identifying, communicating and resolving defects
- Collaborate with technical leadership and other engineers to help establish overall technical design and architecture
- Collaborate with Lead Engineer, Technical Art and Game Engineers to identify systems in need of optimization or replacement and on proposals of exciting new graphics technologies
- Work closely with the production staff in building and maintaining realistic schedules and identifying dependencies
- Coordinate with QA and leads to ensure successful roll out of new features to the team and establish testing and maintenance of systems
- 8+ years professional C/C++ programming.
- Experience working with current graphics algorithms and hardware.
- Designed, implemented, optimized, and maintained rendering systems for a published game (preferred)
- Experience with memory management, multi-threading and low-level optimizations
- Experience writing shaders (preferred)
- Experience with image filtering techniques (preferred)
- Experience developing for either Xbox1 or PS4 (preferably both)
- Worked on multi-year, large-scale production game title from concept to ship (preferred)
- B.S. degree in CS/EE/Math/Physics or equivalent
- Proven ability to rapidly prototype new graphics techniques and turn these prototypes into robust, maintainable, shippable systems
- Understanding of modern rendering topics and GPU architectures
- Experience collaborating with content creators and engineers to accomplish difficult tasks
- Experience with D3D12 and SM6.x (preferred)
- Knowledge of 3D math (preferred)
- Ability to easily communicate technical topics with engineers and non-technical people.
- Ability to openly discuss and review technical proposals, requirements, designs, algorithms, source code, and reference documents with engineers, content creators and managers
- Understanding of the game development process and workflows of various disciplines
- Microsoft Visual Studio development environment