Data is the lifeblood of Bloomberg's global business, connecting financial professionals and institutions from all sectors with an unmatched range of markets. The Ticker Plant is a high-performance processing pipeline and a low-latency time-series database for global financial market data. We are at the core of Bloomberg, handling more than 80 billions events a day on millions of financial instruments.
Bloomberg Ticker Plant’s mission is to aggregate, enrich and disseminate real time market data ranging from niche hand-priced venues to the trading centres of the global financial system. We make all this accessible with the stroke of a key via the user-facing Bloomberg Terminal as well as programmatically through our range of Enterprise solutions that form the backbone of today’s financial institutions.
In Hong Kong, we’re looking for a team leader to help us build a new team in the region. This team will specialise in the market data we receive from venues across the Asia-Pacific region. The team will be responsible for the quality of that data, and will need to react to real-world changes to ensure our crucial financial information keeps flowing to our clients. In addition the team will need to be proactive in improving Ticker Plant’s internal client interface, with a broad remit to improve user interfaces, tooling, and documentation.
As a team leader of a new team, you’ll employ your strong technical skills and proven people management ability to lead a high-performing team. You’ll be expected to guide and coach your team members on software engineering best practices and industry standards. You’ll be trusted to represent Ticker Plant to its broad network of stakeholders across Asia-Pacific, while acting as a leader in a growing engineering community in Hong Kong.
What’s in it for you?
This is a challenging and rewarding opportunity to be a hands-on technical leader and build a critical team in Bloomberg’s market data infrastructure. You’ll gain valuable experience leading a small team of talented engineers, while remaining hands-on, to create the future technology of the Ticker Plant in Bloomberg.
We’ll trust you to
- Inspire and motivate a brand new team to achieve great results, while supporting individual growth and development
- Take the lead on hiring a small team of developers and helping them build the engineering and domain skills required to maintain a mission-critical system
- Lead the development of technical solutions to meet current and future business needs
- Ensure continuous improvement of solutions and discover new ways of working as a team
- Establish best practices that result in high quality of software, systems and services
- Create a strong team culture which is focused on delivering value and increasing individual and team capabilities
- Develop strong partnerships across internal development teams and business teams
- Take risks. You will be encouraged to explore, innovate and strive to exceed expectations, while at the same time inspire the same attitude within your team members.
You’ll need to have
- An ability to foster a collaborative team environment and promote a culture of teamwork and high performance.
- Solid experience working with C++ in a Unix environment.
- Knowledge and experience in all phases of the software development life cycle.
- Excellent stakeholder relationship management. Our customers are software developers in other teams.
- The ability to effectively listen, communicate, challenge and influence team members, peers and your management.
- The desire to take ownership and responsibility of issues and handle effectively through to resolution.
- Willingness and ability to travel to London and New York offices multiple times a year.