Electromechanical Engineer, Service Tooling Engineering
Fremont, California, USA
02 Oct 2020
As an Electromechanical Design Engineer on Tesla’s Service Tooling Engineering team you will be responsible for specifying, designing, and validating all tools and equipment used to service Tesla electric vehicles world-wide. You will work with internal customers to identify and develop practical solutions to enable fast, seamless, and revolutionary service. You will lead the design, development and validation of tooling and equipment used to service Tesla vehicles. The ideal candidate is someone who gets excited building things, is highly analytical, and sees the big picture needed to evolve a concept into a product. The ideal candidate is a hybrid of a mechanical engineer, software engineer, electrical engineer and possesses a strong understanding of manufacturing concepts.
Joining this team is an opportunity to become part of a world-class organization, supporting the latest EV technology. We are setting the standard that will continue to transform and revolutionize the automotive industry.
- Interact with teams of engineers and technicians working in other disciplines and on other subsystems to define the root cause of issue being addressed.
- Convert tooling requirements and specifications from engineers and technicians into actionable procurement items while keeping in mind safety, cost minimization and timing urgency.
- Design automotive technician tooling for large scale distribution.
- Design custom tools to automate and simplify diagnostic investigations.
- Understand and deconstruct complicated software systems and devise strategies to test these systems.
- Develop a concept and build a prototype solution.
- Perform tooling validation with the engineers/technicians.
- Create drawings and specifications in line with common industry practices.
- Work cross-functionally with Design Engineering, Service Operations, and Service Engineering
- Summarize complex technical topics and abstract key issues and risks in an actionable form to management.
- Work closely with designated Tesla tooling distributors to define tooling selection, implementation, and maintain tracking.
- Evidence of exceptional ability required
- B.S in Mechanical, Electrical, Mechatronics, Manufacturing Engineering field or related technical design field from ABET accredited program
- Minimum 2 years exp. in electromechanical design and drafting
- Proficiency in C++
- Fluent in software fundamentals including software design and maintainability
- Experience with firmware and Programmable Logic Controller's • Experience developing client/server architectures, and interfacing with database systems
- Strong 3D CAD experience, CATIA a plus
- Tooling and/or equipment design experience preferred
- Hands on experience building mechanical and/or electrical systems
- Automotive, Aerospace, or heavy equipment industry experience preferred
- Familiarity with Regulatory compliance is a plus- (OSHA, CE, CCC, ASME related standards)
- Machine shop and fabrication experience preferred
- Strong communication, organization, and documentation skills
- Proven ability to research information, solve challenging problems, and coordinate projects under tight timing constraints
- Excellent fundamental engineering knowledge and have examples of applied engineering success through work, projects, or academic endeavors
- Familiarity with working with various outside suppliers and managing deliverables
- Ability to work autonomously to manage projects and maintain communication with interested parties
- Ability to collaborate in a fast-paced team environment: pro-active team player who thinks ahead, plans, and suggests solutions
- Mechanical aptitude, fabrication skills, machining, hand tools, and general electronics