Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We create worlds where people can express themselves, explore, and discover new possibilities.
Ubisoft Toronto was founded in 2010 and has contributed to many award-winning Ubisoft brands including Assassin’s Creed®, Far Cry®, For HonorTM, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell®, and Watch Dogs®. In 2018, the team at Ubisoft Toronto developed its first new IP, Starlink: Battle for Atlas, and is leading the development of Watch Dogs: Legion, in stores in March 2020. Ubisoft Toronto is one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for four consecutive years and in 2018, one of GamesIndustry.biz Best Places to Work.
Are you looking to work with enthusiastic experts who are tackling game-changing challenges in entertainment and beyond? At Ubisoft, we offer an open environment where bright ideas have a chance to shine and everyone is eager to share knowledge.
Challenge accepted? Join us and Create the Unknown.
On being a 3D Programmer at Ubisoft Toronto
When you’re a 3D Programmer at Ubisoft Toronto, you connect with our players on two of the most basic aspects of a AAA game: its visuals and its performance. Your exceptional maths skills, your sharp eye for visual detail, and your knowledge of GPUs allow you to write a game’s most fundamental code and deliver a stunning visual experience.
As a dependable member of a larger production team, you collaborate with colleagues from a range of disciplines who depend on you for quickly getting something that is clear and good-looking up on the screen. You work well with technical artists, transforming their requirements into efficient, working code.
Essentially, what you care about is image quality; you’re probably a photography or cinematography buff. You have a good understanding of the physics of lighting and a working knowledge of physically based shading. You use these passions, skills, and knowledge to create striking work, and are eager for your colleagues’ feedback.
The daily life of a 3D Programmer at Ubisoft Toronto
- Program code customized to the hardware you are working with;
- Explore new hardware and deal with the interesting new challenges it poses;
- Meet up with artists to assess their needs and vision;
- Review code to improve its performance, in search of that vital extra millisecond;
- Read the latest relevant academic literature in order to stay at the forefront of your field;
- You might attend a 3D tech talk by one of your colleagues on another project or brand – or give one yourself.
What it takes to make it
- An undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent experience;
- A minimum of 5 years' experience in general programming, ideally in the video game industry, with at - least 3 years in graphics programming (having shipped a video game is an asset);
- Proficiency in C++ (understanding of C# is an asset);
- Experience with HLSL, DirectX;
- Experience in 3D programming for Xbox1, PS4 and/or PC (DX11+/OpenGL 4.3+);
- Understanding of modern GPU rendering pipeline and how to utilize it efficiently;
- Understanding and experience in real-time Physically Based Rendering (lighting, BRDF’s, camera model, etc.);
- Comprehensive understanding of rendering techniques used in modern AAA video-game productions;
- Experience developing on video-game consoles and in performance; optimization for consoles, particularly XB1/PS4 specific shader optimizations;
- Experience in using Mathematica to solve and optimize rendering algorithms;
- Understanding and experience of Monte-Carlo path tracing techniques;
- Drive and knowledge how to push the real-time rendering quality in video-games;
- Ability to technically analyze images and propose quality improvements that fall in line with PBR;
- You are a Philomath (a.k.a. a lover of maths – algebra, geometry, calculus, the whole set);
- A proficiency to communicate with all disciplines, and to support and elevate the team in terms of visuals and performance;
- You are creative and thirsty for innovation.
- Competitive Salary
- Comprehensive Benefits Package:
- Disability Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Extended medical insurance
- (Optional) RRSP contribution
- Relocation assistance
- Bonus (If Applicable)
Why Ubisoft Toronto?
At Ubisoft Toronto, we look for people who are excited to create the future of games in one of the most diverse cities in the world. We believe that embracing our individuality helps us build stronger creative teams and develop better games for all players.
When you’re a member of our team, your professional development is a priority. Ubisoft Toronto conducts annual performance reviews and salary increases to help you further your career and grow with our studio. We also offer a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training, and career development.
We host regular team celebrations, organize events for employees and their families, and we offer a variety of health and wellness initiatives including yoga, on-site occupational therapy, flexible work hours, and continuing programs to promote a balanced life.