Senior Gameplay AI Engineer - Gears of War
Microsoft / The Coalition
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
26 Apr 2021
We have a great opportunity at The Coalition Studio for a Senior Gameplay AI Engineer. This opportunity is best suited for an experienced engineer with a background working closely with Designers and Animators to create outstanding gameplay experiences in a core AAA game. The role will be to create and maintain AI systems as well as build believable characters and behaviours for our AAA game projects. As a senior candidate, you should be able to solve hard problems with little oversight. Our ideal candidate will be a committed gamer with a passion for delivering new experiences to the core consumer. Applicants must also be able to remain positive and work effectively and efficiently in a diverse team-oriented environment.
- Design, implement, and maintain AI systems.
- Build character AI that realizes a particular character design.
- Build reusable AI behaviours that can be shared between characters.
- Analyze performance and memory use and effectively optimize.
- Identify opportunities for improved efficiency and/or ease of use in existing systems.
- Provide documentation, tutorials, and presentations on how to use the AI systems.
- Work closely with gameplay content creators to help realize their vision.
- 5-7+ years of experience in current generation AAA console and PC games.
- University level degree in computer science or a related field.
- Strong C++ knowledge.
- Strong gameplay-relevant math skills (linear algebra, quaternions, splines, geometry, trigonometry, etc.).
- Strong knowledge of the math, data structures and algorithms commonly used in AI and gameplay systems.
- Deep experience with AI systems
- Deep experience building AI characters
- Experience with companion AI or non-humanoid creatures is an asset
- Excellent communication skills and comfortable working closely with designers and content developers.
- Possess a client focused mindset.
- Flexibility and willingness to jump across multiple systems as required.
- Experience with multiplayer and/or co-op gameplay development is a plus.
- Unreal engine experience is a plus.
- Strong debugging and optimization skills in a multi-threaded environment.
- Experience developing tools and modules for game development.
- In-depth understanding of game development process and workflows.
- A desire to provide the best experience to our content creators and our players.
- Knowledge of other common AI languages (Python) is desirable.
- An awareness of software development best practices, particularly for design, coding, and testing.