MySQL Support Engineer
Adelaide / Brisbane / Canberra / Melbourne / Sydney, Australia
03 Feb 2020
About the Position
Candidates with firm system administration backgrounds and database administration experience will have the opportunity to utilize these skills while consistently applying diagnostic and troubleshooting skills to a variety of customers throughout the world in various markets.
Successful candidates will possess the following characteristics and qualifications:
- Excellent knowledge of the MySQL server (preferably MySQL Cluster) and utilities
- Experience managing MySQL in production settings
- 3+ years C/C++ or Java software development experience
- Practical experience with distributed computing
- Understanding of high availability, load balancing, and performance
- Understanding of database engine design and implementation
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Strong experience with Linux development environments
- Proven skills in solving complex issues
- Ability to pass all levels of MySQL Certification
- Excellent spoken and written communications skills in English
- A desire to serve customers with a passion
- A desire to be a team player within a small virtual community
- Ability to manage multiple priorities with limited supervision
About MySQL Support, Oracle
Oracle, the world's premier database company, is hiring expert technical support staff for MySQL - the world's most popular open source database! By joining this proven team of MySQL professionals, you will assist customers in the resolution of their issues with your wide-ranging skill set. From explaining database internals to reviewing schema design, from application architecture review to client code analysis, from best practices definition to defect analysis - customers will look to you for assistance in addressing their needs in a timely, professional manner. You will continually exercise and grow your diverse skills as you deliver the highest quality support possible to customers. Work location is flexible.
Detailed Description and Job Requirements
As a member of the Support organization, your focus is to deliver post-sales support and solutions to the Oracle customer base while serving as an advocate for customer needs. This involves resolving post-sales non-technical customer inquiries via phone and electronic means, as well as, technical questions regarding the use of and troubleshooting for our Electronic Support Services. A primary point of contact for customers, you are responsible for facilitating customer relationships with Support and providing advice and assistance to internal Oracle employees on diverse customer situations and escalated issues.
As a Principal Support Engineer, you will offer strategic technical support to assure the highest level of customer satisfaction. A primary focus is to create/utilize automated technology and instrumentation to diagnose, document, and resolve/avoid customer issues. You are expected to be an expert member of the technical problem solving/problem avoidance team, routinely sought after to address extremely complex, critical customer issues. Services may be frequently provided by on-site customer visits.
Leading contributor individually and as a team member, providing direction and mentoring to others. Work is non-routine and very complex, involving the application of advanced technical/business skills in area of specialization. 7 years experience with Core products or eight years experience with Applications products, BS Computer Science / Management Information Systems / Science / Engineering / Math / Physics / Chemistry with 3.0 GPA OR (for Applications) proven professional/ technical experience, i.e., demonstrating an understanding of Applications at a functional and technical level (preferably Oracle).